Important First Steps
Remember these important early steps to getting settled:
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits
- Apply for Manitoba Health Care Coverage (a Manitoba Health Card) for you and all members of your family.
- Visit the bank or credit union where you plan to do your banking. If you have already transferred money to your new bank/credit union, drop by to introduce yourself and, if necessary, to get advice on managing your money.
- See the Quick Links below to find a variety of services that you will need as you settle
- If your destination is Winnipeg, visit Manitoba Start at 271 Portage Avenue in downtown Winnipeg. It is an essential part of your settlement pathway. Manitoba Start provides a wide range of employment and career supports and information about newcomer services.
- If your destination is outside Winnipeg, visit a settlement agency near you. For names and locations of agencies both in Winnipeg and across Manitoba, visit our Maps and Directories page.