Federal Immigration Programs

A number of other options are available for skilled workers interested in making Manitoba their home through economic immigration programs offered by the federal government.

In addition, those who are interested in immigrating to Manitoba as non-economic immigrants, for example spouses and other eligible family members of Canadian Citizens and permanent residents, may qualify under the Federal Family Class.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program

This is an economic immigration program for people with skilled work experience. To be eligible, candidates must:

For more information about the Federal Skilled Worker Program, please visit IRCC’s website.

The Canadian Experience Class is an immigration option for people with skilled professional work experience in Canada. In order to be eligible, all candidates must:

  • have at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada in an occupation at the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A or B within the three years before the application is made
  • have gained the Canadian work experience with the proper authorization
  • meet minimum language requirements needed for their job

For more information about the Canadian Experience Class, please visit IRCC’s website.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is an immigration option for people with experience in skilled manual work. In order to be eligible, all candidates must:

  • meet minimum language requirements
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade within the five years before they apply
  • meet the job requirements of that trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification
  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority

For more information about the Federal Skilled Trades program, please visit IRCC’s website.

Express Entry

Since January 2015, all candidates interested in applying to one of these three federal immigration programs are required to first submit a profile into a new system to manage how people with skilled work experience apply to immigrate. It is called Express Entry. In their online profile, all candidates must provide their language test scores, their Educational Credential Assessment (if applicable) and information about their work experience. There is no cost to complete and submit an Express Entry profile.

Based on their profiles, candidates will be assigned points and ranked against others in a pool. On a regular basis, IRCC issues Invitations to Apply to the highest scoring candidates in this pool to apply for permanent residence. Only those who get an Invitation to Apply from IRCC will be able to apply for permanent residence, while the profiles of those who have not been selected within one year will be removed from the pool.

To learn more about Express Entry, please visit IRCC’s website.

Family Sponsorship

Citizens or permanent residents of Canada who are at least 18 years old can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada under the Family Class.

These can be:

  • your spouse;
  • your conjugal or common-law partner;
  • your dependent child (this includes an adopted child); or
  • other eligible relatives.

If your family member can become a permanent resident, they can live, study and work in Canada.

To find out more about family sponsorship, please visit IRCC’s website.