Learn About Academic Credential Assessments

Downloadable version available here

Many newcomers ask, “Do I need an assessment of my academic credentials earned outside of Canada?” The answer is not a simple yes or no. The answer depends on what you plan to do.

  • Are you looking for work in Manitoba?
  • Are you planning to study at a post-secondary institution in Manitoba ?
  • Are you planning to apply for registration with a professional regulatory body in Manitoba?

Registering with a professional regulatory body – If you are planning to apply to a regulatory body to become a registered member of your profession in Manitoba, you must contact the regulatory body which overseas your profession to learn about the application process for internationally-educated and trained applicants. Some regulatory bodies conduct the entire assessment process; others refer applicants to a third-party organization to conduct a specific component (or components) of the professional registration process.

Studying at a post-secondary institution – If you are planning to study at a post-secondary institution in Manitoba you must contact the institution to learn about the admissions process. Post-secondary institutions typically conduct their own assessments to determine if an internationally-educated applicant meets the minimum education requirement for admission to a particular program of study.

Looking for work – If you are looking for work, you must check the education and documentation requirement of each job posting. While some employers will require an official assessment* of your academic credentials as part of the application process, the majority of employers will not require an assessment.

Most employers consider academic credentials earned outside of Canada as generally comparable to similar credentials earned in Canada. For example, if you earned a 4-year bachelor’s degree (in a particular field of study) outside of Canada, you should feel confident applying for a job requiring applicants to hold a bachelor’s degree in the same or similar field of study. If you are applying for a job requiring a high school diploma (Grade 12), most senior secondary school diplomas/certificates awarded outside of Canada are awarded upon completion of a 12-year or 11-year program of study. These programs are generally considered comparable to Grade 12 in Manitoba.

However, If a job posting states that internationally-educated applicants must submit an academic assessment, then you must have your credentials assessed by a recognized assessment agency* in Canada. Employers that require an assessment will not consider an application for employment complete until the assessment is received. Examples of employers requiring an assessment include: the Winnipeg Police Service, the RCMP, and most Government of Canada departments and agencies.

* The Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC)
There are six recognized agencies in Canada which conduct academic assessments/evaluations. All are members of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC). Each agency has its own application process, documentation criteria, fees, and processing times. Individuals can apply for an assessment from within or outside of Canada. It can take up to 12 weeks for an assessment agency to complete the assessment process (from initial application to result).

Members of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada:

When selecting an agency, be aware that MIDI (Quebec) will assess and compare credentials to the Quebec education system which varies slightly from other provinces and territories in Canada. Residents of Manitoba are encouraged to use one of the other five assessment agencies. For further information on the recognized assessment agencies in Canada, visit www.canalliance.org.

Please note: The Province of Manitoba’s Academic Credentials Assessment Service (ACAS) was a member of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada from 2003 – 2013. The Province no longer operates a credential assessment service. Individuals residing in Manitoba and seeking an assessment should contact one of the ACESC members listed above. Former ACAS clients, who received an Academic Credentials Report issued between 1998 and 2013, and who require further information and/or support for a specific purpose, should inquire:

  • In person at Manitoba Immigration, 7th floor, 213 Notre Dame Ave., Winnipeg
  • By telephone: 204-945-2806
  • By email: immigratemanitoba@gov.mb.ca