Cell phone providers include MTS, Rogers and Telus. Cell is a separate service from your home phone. Be careful to check all terms and conditions before you sign a contract for service as airtime, texting and other fees can result in an unexpectedly high monthly bill.
Home Internet is a paid service. The main service providers are Shaw Cable and MTS. You can use a computer and get on the Internet for free at public libraries and other locations. Free Wi-Fi access is widely available.
Winnipeg has four local English television stations and one French-language station. TV is a paid service. Throughout Manitoba TV comes to your home via cable, the phone line or satellite. Shaw Cable and MTS are the main providers. They offer many channels, mostly from the United States. Both offering programming in other languages.
There are local radio stations in most Manitoba communities. Here are some of major stations:
- CBC: (990 AM, 98.3 FM in Winnipeg; throughout Manitoba at different spots on radio dial), government-funded TV and radio broadcaster with local, national and international news and current affairs; website maintained as separate service with news 24-7
- CKSB: (1050 AM), French CBC service
- CKJS: (810 AM), local, multilingual programming includes Filipino, Chinese, German, East-Indian, Vietnamese and many more
- CJOB: (680 AM), all news
- CKLQ: (880 AM), Brandon
- CKDM: (730 AM), Dauphin
- CHSM: (1250 AM), Steinbach
- CKMW: (1570 AM), Winkler, Morden
This list links to some of Manitoba’s larger newspapers. As well, most towns and regions are served by a community newspaper. Find a list at altstuff.com/newsmb.htm.
- Winnipeg Free Press
- Winnipeg Sun
- Globe & Mail (national)
- National Post (national)
- Brandon Sun
- Portage La Prairie Daily Graphic
- Dauphin Herald (weekly)
- Steinbach Carillon (weekly)
This is a list of newspapers that serve particular linguistic and ethnocultural communities:
Manitoba China Times
Manitoba Indochina Chinese News
Prairie Chinese News
Club News (Dutch)
Winnipeg-based news for overseas Filipinos
Korean Canadian Association of Winnipeg Newsletter
Czas – The Polish Times
The Viking Times
Ukrainian Catholic News