Recruit Overseas

Employer Direct helps Manitoba employers get workers overseas

Hiring temporary foreign workers (TFW) is one path for employers unable to find suitable staff in the local labour market.

Opportunities: Employer Direct facilitates your involvement in overseas recruitment events

Recruitment guide for Manitoba employers

1. Try hiring locally first

If you need help finding a skilled worker contact the MPNP’s community partner, Manitoba Start. This agency trains and counsels new immigrants and tries to match their skills with the needs of Manitoba employers.

Also, in order to get Ottawa’s permission to hire a worker overseas, you must first advertise your employment opening to help show you can’t hire locally.

2. Take advantage of our assistance

When you’re ready to recruit, first register with the province. This is both a legislative requirement and so you can access the advice and support of the MPNP and other government staff.

3. Contact Service Canada

Before recruiting, registered employers must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The LMIA confirms that your position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Note that the LMIA process requires you to try hiring locally first and to meet Service Canada’s advertising requirements, which includes posting openings on Job Bank (where ads are seen by Canadians, newcomers/nominees as well as international jobseekers).

4. Find suitable candidates

You can do this on your own or by using a licensed recruiting company. You can also get referrals from the MPNP – leveraging Manitoba’s labour mobility agreements with select countries and the MPNP’s overseas recruitment missions.

5. Help candidate with paperwork

Once you have found candidates, provide them with a formal job offer letter and copy of your LMIA. They must include these documents when they apply for a work permit through their local Canadian visa office.

6. When your worker arrives

Remember a TFW has the same rights and responsibilities as citizens and permanent residents according to Manitoba employment standards. And note that the MPNP can advise on helping your TFW move and settle in Manitoba as well as answer any immigration questions related to foreign workers.

Retain your talent:
If you offer a TFW full-time employment after six months on the job, your worker is eligible to remain in Manitoba with Canada Permanent Resident Status by applying to the MPNP. Employment in Manitoba is the applicant’s requisite connection to our province.

Need assistance or advice?

Contact Employer Direct at 204-945-7439.

NEXT: Other Employment Services